To be clear up front, this is not an ad for a paid job, but a call for seeding a community of people helping each other move around. Please only read forward if you are open to volunteer experimentation which may or may not turn into a full time job for you later.
Teleport is a Place Scout for Startup People. We build software for people to find and get to the best place to be for what they need to do: reduce cost to extend their runway, find like-minded people to work with, be closer to clients or friends, land in a tax and regulatory environment with least friction, and so forth.
We have launched three simple products this far:
- Teleport for Startup Cities -- discover and budget your next move around 100 most startup-friendly cities in the world
- Teleport Flock -- discover and budget the next meeting of your distributed team anywhere in the world
- Bay Area Teleport -- find affordable and commute-optimal living around Silicon Valley (to be expanded to other urban areas)
When you try these products you can see (we hope!) that we are well on the way with solutions to the first part of our promise: finding you the best place. Now it is time for stage two: helping people actually get there. And this is where we'd like to you to join us.
Who are Teleport Scouts?
Teleport Scouts are friendly people who volunteer to make themselves available for other Teleport users to prepare and execute their moves to a particular place.
All of our first few dozen Teleport Scouts ...
- have extensive knowledge about their cities, based on actually living there, moving there or helping others move there
- have spectacular search skills and a personal network for finding out the the little they do not know about their city
- love helping even complete strangers and sharing their experience and knowledge
- are friendly, approachable and patient
- write well in clear & concise English
Users of Teleport's mobile and web apps can request help from a Teleport Scout in the context of a city they are planning to travel or move to. Questions are routed to Teleport Scouts with matching locations and skills in a hope that they volunteer to help the user out.
We do not charge people for the first contact with a Scout, and hence we do not pay Scouts for the answers they provide. As our products evolve, some Scout interactions may turn into paid customer relationships for Teleport or our partners, in which case we would like to be fair and share our revenue with involved Scouts, too.
What's in it for you?
This is your chance to
- build your international network among interesting people roaming the planet
- be a good promoter for your city and the local tech & creative scenes
- help more cool startup people move to where you are, making your city a more interesting and vibrant place to live for everyone
- make good use of your existing expertise, build new skills and even build pipeline of future customers (if your day job today or what you would like to do in the future is something directly related to typical Scout questions, like finding a job or a rental apartment)
- try working together with a rare-quality startup team (ex-Skype, Andreessen-Horowitz-backed, fully distributed, shipping fast) and be best positioned to apply for any future roles as the come up.
If all of the above sounds awesome then we’d love to hear from you.
Tell us which cities you know about most and you’ll be the first to know when people have any questions about the area you’re familiar with, so you can help them settle in and feel welcome in the local community.
Please head over to our Teleport Scouts signup form
(the form is preferred over applying via email, this time)