Hi there, we are looking to move to Edinburgh and have been exploring areas to live in. We're looking at somewhere outside of Edinburgh city itself but with good train links, schools and affordable housing (probably the Lothians). We'd like an area with some amenities in walking distance, but don't mind driving for supermarkets, gym and so on.
Essentials: Close primary school which is reasonably good, nursery, railway station walking distance or short drive/cycle away with some later trains back from Edinburgh. At least some local shops in walking distance. Somewhere safe with low crime rates.
Nice to have: New build housing developments, decent secondary school, close supermarket, close gym.
Some areas we've looked at so far:
- North Berwick - a little far out, probably too expensive for us though it's a lovely town.
- Dunbar - affordable, but a bit far out and lack of later trains back from Edinburgh (though the 20m train is excellent), not a lot of new housing, feels a bit isolated, has a large nuclear power station which makes us paranoid.
- Musselburgh - lots happening, some areas a bit dodgy feeling, a bit too busy for us, would prefer somewhere more rural and a bit further from the city.
- Linlithgow - really liked this town, but expensive housing. We are considering renting around here for awhile while we learn the area though.
- Winchburgh - new housing and town centre development looks promising, but existing town not very nice, no train station until Dec 2018 so commute is not ideal.
- Armadale - new housing development in Southdale is promising. New primary school and super close train links to Edinburgh are excellent. Town itself is a bit run down, but looks like more is changing than in Winchburgh. Houses are more affordable, has a walking distance supermarket too. We don't like the feeling of the old town though, and it's further from Edinburgh.
For clues, the closest so far is Linlithgow, but house prices are a bit expensive. We were hoping that Winchburgh might become a nice place in the future, but it's a bit run down right now, and don't really feel like punting on whether they will build the promised new schools, railway station and amenities.
So. really my question is, what other places haven't we considered yet? We haven't explored Midlothian yet, so there's surely some towns there that might fit the bill too?