Teleport for Startup Cities Press Kit
Teleport for Startup Cities mobile app helps you move to your best place to live and work.
- Choose your personal preferences for cost and quality of life
- Look into the details of your budget and life quality for any of the top 150+ startup-friendly cities around the world
- Follow cities you frequent or just dream about, and never miss an important update on how their fit for you changes
- Make your move actually happen: request help from real Teleport Scouts and get directly in touch with progressive governments who have joined Teleport to attract talent.
Other notable facts:
- First iteration of Teleport on smartphones. Available on iOS and Android.
- Designed for simple, visual, ambient search experience. Teleport learns about your needs and keeps running queries for you in the background to occasionally let you know what’s important regarding your next move.
- Teleport operates on an ever growing custom database of income opportunities and cost and quality of life parameters about 266 cities across 100+ data dimensions which users can combine according to their needs.
- The first 100 cities were picked based on a custom index of startup friendliness (existing entrepreneurial activity, overall attractiveness for incoming immigration, etc). We also augmented some geographies, for example to include all European Union capitals. Users can vote for which cities should be added next.
First iteration of connecting Teleport users with helpful people (Teleport Scouts and partner
governments) that can help them complete their planned move.
- First cities where launch partner governments have joined Teleport to be accessible for startup people who want to move there: Tallinn, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland.
- A collection of articles introducing the features and use of Teleport for Startup Cities can be found on our mobile page.
Teleport builds software for people on the move.
- Long term vision: Free people move around. All governments will be competing for every citizen.
- Early focus: Place Scout for Startup People. Helping people whose jobs allow them to be mobile figure out where they should be, and then help them get there.
Founded April 1, 2014.
- Incorporated in the United States and European Union.
- Staff in Palo Alto, California; Tallinn, Estonia; Munich, Germany; Bern, Switzerland. Roaming nomads elsewhere (Colombia, United Kingdom, etc).
- In September 2014 announced $2.5M seed funding from Andreessen Horowitz, SV Angel, Seedcamp, and angel investors including Jeff Dean, Jaan Tallinn, Scott and Cyan Banister, Rain Rannu and others (see AngelList profile and CrunchBase profile for more)
- In November 2014 released the first public product, Bay Area Teleport. A visual, interactive tool that helps you optimize where you should live in the San Francisco Bay Area and Silicon Valley based on housing costs, commute times and various life quality parameters.
- On top of Teleport for Startup Cities mobile app, have released a suite of other apps, Bay Area Teleport, New York Teleport, Teleport Flock and Teleport Sundial.
- See more: https://teleport.org/about-us/
- Sten Tamkivi – Co-Founder & CEO. Sten is a tech entrepreneur, most recently residing at Andreessen Horowitz. After starting a few companies in Estonia he joined a startup called Skype as an early executive in 2005, where he ran the original R&D office and held several global product engineering leadership roles for 7 years. He holds a MS in Management from Stanford GSB.
- Silver Keskküla – Co-Founder. Silver is a hacker, a researcher and a nomad. He joined Skype as the first researcher in the core team in the early days which led to his most recent role as a Principal Software Development Engineer at Microsoft. At Skype Silver was optimizing peer-to-peer network topologies using machine learning and AI and pushed neural networks to hundreds of millions of computers. His nomadic lifestyle has led him to pursue education in universities such as Tsinghua, Stanford and MIT. As a Phd dropout from Swiss Federal Institute of Technology he holds a Masters in Computer Science from Chalmers University of Technology.
- Balaji Srinivasan – Co-Founder. Balaji is a Board Partner at Andreessen Horowitz and previously was a co-founder of Counsyl, a genomics startup that tests more than 4% of all US births. Prior to co-founding Counsyl, Dr. Srinivasan taught data mining, statistics, and computational biology in the Department of Statistics at Stanford University. He holds a BS, MS, and PhD in Electrical Engineering and an MS in Chemical Engineering from Stanford.
- Sten, Silver and several other team members were early key people at Skype.
- Teleport is a modern distributed organization: the core team of 10 people is spread between 5 countries.
- Find more information about Teleport on the About page and the Teleport blog.
Please refer any additional questions, clarifications and interview requests to Sten Tamkivi, CEO, email@example.com